PLEASE REVIEW BEFORE SUBMITTING
Lucky Jefferson's digital zine Awake seeks to amplify the experiences and perspectives of Black writers in American society.
The fourth issue of Awake is titled Odyssey:
Despite being the first Black captain of your crew, you’ve been overlooked for promotions your entire career in the Space Force. One day, you finally receive your chance at your own expedition to the Outer Ring. After launch, your ship experiences technical difficulties and you find yourself plummeting four thousand kilometers off course.
After awakening, you realize it’s been a few days since you lost connection with Mission Control. You stumble through iridescent foliage to discover a bustling city ahead of your own time. You are soon discovered and greeted by the inhabitants of this world—inhabitants that reflect your culture.
Now you have two options: figure out a way to return home or explore this planet and begin a new life. What are you going to do?
Poems, essays, flash fiction, creative nonfiction, and art should illustrate your decision.
Upon acceptance, submissions will be included on our website and publicized on social media.
Accepted authors will receive $15 for each accepted work.
*Writers looking to be published in upcoming print issues should plan to submit their work to the appropriate form during open calls.*
- Send no more than three poems in a submission. Separate poems by titles or page breaks.
- Essays should be no more than 1500 words.
- Flash Fiction should be no more than 1000 words.
- Send no more than three pieces of art. Artwork that offers social commentary on the lack of diversity in Science Fiction is highly preferred (We love comics and collage pieces!).
- In the cover letter box include: your name, email address, current address, and bio (third-person, 50 words max).
We do not accept translations or work that has been previously published in print or online.
**We encourage you to make a donation with your submission. Your contribution fuels the publication of Lucky Jefferson as we are a budding independent journal with an all-volunteer staff.
**Previously accepted poets/writers should wait 2 quarters, or two issues, from the time of acceptance, before submitting new work to any open call.**