Lucky Jefferson intends to expand its print and digital collections, (365 Collection, Awake) by featuring Guest Editors eager to generate visibility for Black, Indigenous, Latinx, Arab and other Middle Eastern American, Asian American, and Pacific Islander voices and increased accessibility to traditionally underrepresented literature.
You should come prepared to wield your editorial skills and creativity to attract new and emerging voices. The sky is truly the limit as you will serve up unique themes consistent with social justice issues or something more fun like a call for recipes that inspire identity.
Applicants should be BIPOC-identifying authors excited about poetry, especially new contemporary works, and our mission to reinvigorate publishing. You do not have to have an extensive publication history!
How You'll Get Down (10 hours per month)
- Review submissions and provide supportive feedback in Submittable
- Lend your copy editing and proofreading skills to prepare accepted works for publication (roughly 8-10 authors per digital issue or 20-25 authors for print)
- Submit design or creative requests for issues to ensure all artwork is supplied on time for issues
- Champion our authors through editor social media interviews
- *If applying for a Translation Editor role, you could expect to support the same tasks above in addition to translating accepted works.
Where You Should Shine:
- Flawless editing skills and creative vision
- You work well alone and with a team and should be eager to hit the ground running for your issue
- Calling all perfectionists (kidding)! But attention to detail is a must. Mistakes happen, but you should be keen on minimizing them or avoiding them altogether
- Your passion for social justice advocacy and creating equal opportunities should be clear. We don't empower, we help folks realize the power they already have
- Must be committed to highlighting new voices in poetry, flash fiction, etc. This includes underrepresented and misrepresented groups (Black voices, LGBTQIA voices, Disabled voices, etc.)
How Long We'll Need Your Help
1-2 months (depends on the volume of submissions per issue and subsequent promotion). And of course, if you love the gig, you're more than welcome to stay aboard longer.
If This Is Your DREAM
Complete this application to guest edit an upcoming issue. Interviews rolling.
Scratching Your Head?
Send all questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We're Not Rolling In Dough Yet!
This is a volunteer position.
*and yes, this role is REMOTE*